Fire Protection Engineering Analysis
In 2019, the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) estimated there was $14.8 billion in damage due to fires in the United States (1). Fire protection engineers use scientific data and engineering principles to protect people, property, and the environment from the adverse effects of fire. Envista’s engineering professionals have years of experience in fire engineering and strong backgrounds in inspection and analysis of fire protection systems, in addition to access to cutting-edge investigative technology.
Fire Protection Systems
Fire protection engineers have the knowledge and capability to analyze and inspect fire protection systems including:
- Active Suppression – Analyze and review sprinkler, wet and dry chemical, gaseous, etc. systems for performance and adequacy. This can include inspections, testing, and maintenance history in addition to design.
- Alarm Systems – Ensure appropriate design, code/standard compliance, and effectiveness.
- Building Codes and Related Standards – Ensure codes and standards are properly used and being met by design.
- Incident Analysis – Analyzing timeline data for fire growth and smoke generation during an event.
- Liability – Investigate and determine who the parties responsible are to recover losses.
- Passive Fire Protection Systems – Inspect fire barriers, fire doors, fire resistance, firewalls, etc., and determine adequacy or performance.
- Smoke Control – Required for high rise and many large atrium facilities, smoke control systems integrate HVAC and fire protection systems to improve survivability. Our engineers can analyze the effectiveness and code compliance of these systems.
- Water Supplies – Analyze water supplies for compliance and adequacy, including city water, dedicated fire tank and pump, pressure tank, underground mains, fire hydrants, etc.
Our fire safety experts can examine and analyze incidents relating to:
- Alarm Systems
- Building Codes Compliance/integration
- Commodity and Product Testing and Evaluation
- Dry Chemical systems
- Evaluations of Fire Growth and Smoke Transport
- Explosion Venting
- Fire Barriers
- Fire Sprinkler Systems
- Fire Walls
- Gaseous Agents
- Process Separation
- Separation Distance
- Smoke Control
- Wet Chemical
- Construction Consulting
- Civil Failure Analysis
- Digital Forensics Investigation
- Electrical Failure Analysis
- Energy Failure Analysis and Forensic Investigation
Equipment Loss Consulting
- Expert Witness and Litigation Support
- Fire Origin and Cause
Major Loss Services
- Material Failure Analysis
- Mechanical Failure Analysis
SIU and Fraud Investigations
- Transportation & Injury Biomechanics