Concrete Failure Analysis
Concrete is a widely used building material, used in walls, floors, foundations, and other structural components. When concrete installations fail, forensic examinations are required to understand what caused the failure, determine repair options, and assist with identifying responsible parties.
Our experienced team of concrete specialists has consulted on some of the largest construction projects around the globe, both as design engineers and as forensic experts. We have extensive knowledge that spans all types of structures, from commercial and residential, to industrial, institutional, and municipal.
Envista's Concrete Experts
Many things can cause concrete failures, from improper installation to storm damage. Envista's experts have extensive knowledge of and expertise working with concrete, and can accurately and scientifically identify the root cause of damages, whether they were the result of a recent disaster or pre-existing condition. We are proficient at collecting and processing evidence, using samples to conduct extensive analytical modeling of failure scenarios.
Symptoms of Concrete Failure
Symptoms of concrete failure include:
- Spalling, cracking, scaling
- Settlement or collapse
- Moisture ingress or interior moisture damage
- Weathering, discoloration, staining
- Deflection or racking
Types of Concrete Structure Failures
Our experts investigate concrete failure events that include but are not limited to:
- Concrete corrosion or concrete deterioration
- Corrosion of steel within the concrete structure
- Design defects and lack of maintenance, causing collapse or failure
- Damage after impact, explosion, or heat/fire
- Structural collapse or damage after storms or natural disasters
Important Questions to Ask During a Concrete Investigation
During an investigation, it is always important to ask these questions:
- Did storm forces cause concrete damage?
- Did earthquake forces cause the damage or was it pre-existing?
- What caused moisture to enter the concrete?
- Did the concrete design comply with the building code requirements?
- Did the concrete construction comply with the design requirements?
- What caused the concrete deterioration and/or steel reinforcement corrosion?