Meet Matthew Grimaldi
Project Engineer (Civil/Structural) in Columbus, OH
1. How long have you been with Envista, and what do you do here?
I have been with Envista since 2020. I am a Project Engineer within the Civil/Structural division, where I inspect residential structural losses, as well as both small and large-scale commercial structural losses.
2. What makes you proud to work at Envista?
What makes me proud is my ability to provide answers to people who are in situations where they are looking for a solution to a problem that has caused them either pain or frustration (or both). I feel like my work helps provide them with a sense of closure and allows them to move forward in a confident and safe manner.
3. What motivates you to wake up and go to work?
What motivates me is my desire to want to learn as much as possible in order to become a more well-rounded and efficient engineer. The more I learn, the more efficient I can become, the larger projects I can take on, and the more answers and solutions I will be able to provide.
4. What has been your favorite project so far?
It's tough to say. I really enjoyed a local loss that involved the collapse of a six-unit townhome building, where I had to determine why the structure collapsed. It required a lot of research that had me burying my nose in a number of different resources.
I also found my first legal-related claim interesting. The detail with which I reviewed all provided documents allowed me to feel comfortable going into my deposition.
5. Where do you see yourself in five years?
In five years, I hope to be in a position where I can both continue to further advance my technical skills, while also being in a position to help out younger experts and be used as a resource to help answer whatever questions may arise.
6. What advice would you give your younger professional self?
1. Never be afraid to ask questions. There is no shame in seeking the advice of others.
2. Always make sure you give every task/problem 100% of your attention and focus. You don't want to look back and ever have regrets about a lack of effort.
7. What’s something most people don’t know about you?
Well, most people know I'm a fish-out-of-water, living and working in Columbus, OH as a graduate of the University of Michigan, but something most people probably don't know is that I am not a huge fan of sitting still. I love to run, travel the world, and have even gone skydiving!