It is not magical, make believe, or impossible – yes, certain things can spontaneously ignite. The ignition of a pile of rags, metal shavings with oil, or the pyrophoric ignition of materials may seem surreal, but there is solid science behind it and can be explained. The fire investigators at Envista have experience with these fires via investigating real fires or studying how they might occur.
The key concepts to spontaneous ignition have already been alluded to in the linseed oil and rag scenario above. Those concepts are:
- The need for a chemical reaction that gives off energy
- A storage scenario that leads to heat being stored in the material that could potentially ignite
- A source of oxygen
Sounds simple doesn't it? Well, at least we know it isn't magical.
- Forensic Engineering & Failure Analysis
- Electrical Engineering Experts
- Fire Origin and Cause
- Material Failure Analysis
- Mechanical Failure Analysis
- Transportation & Injury Biomechanics
- Digital Forensics
- Expert Witness and Litigation Support