According to an NFPA report, an estimated 27,000 structural fires were intentionally set in 2010. These fires attributed to 310 deaths, 860 injuries and $551 million in property damage. Fire investigations are complex to begin with, however, determining if a fire was caused by an arsonist requires an extremely skilled investigator.
Envista fire investigators are certified by by the NAFI (National Association of Fire Investigators) and IAAI (International Association of Arson Investigators) as CFI and CFEI.
Since the results of fire-fighting efforts often destroy pertinent evidence that is essential to determining origin & cause, Envista arson investigators use their strong foundation in fire science to first determine if the fire was accidental. Assuming accidental causes can be ruled out, and arson is determined, from there, our skilled investigators work with law enforcement to begin an investigation.
In preparing their investigation, Envista Arson investigators look to answer the below questions:
- Were there multiple points of origin?
- Is there any presence of accelerants?
- Was the color of the smoke noteworthy?
- Were any hydrants, standpipes, alarm systems or sprinker systems inoperable at the time of the fire?
- What was the condition of the doors and windows?
- Was there anything abnormal about the way the fire burned?
- Were there any items (equipment, chemicals, etc.) present in the structure at the time of the fire that wouldn't normally be present?
- Forensic Engineering & Failure Analysis
- Electrical Engineering Experts
- Fire Origin and Cause
- Material Failure Analysis
- Mechanical Failure Analysis
- Digital Forensics
- Expert Witness and Litigation Support