Home and business alike have appliances of some sort. Appliance fires account for thousands of fires each year. Our electrical engineers are equipped to provide assessment of residential and commercial fires involving appliances for cause and origin, liability and subrogation potential.
Most commonly, residential or coin-operated washers and dryers, ranges or cook tops, ovens and microwaves in both residential homes and restaurants are among the top causes of appliance fires around the world.
According to NFPA's 2019 Home Cooking Fires report, cooking equipment accounts for nearly half of all home fires, more than 20 percent of home fire deaths and 45 percent of injuries. It's the leading cause, and by a high margin.
After any type of electrical appliance fire, it is of utmost need to determine the origin and cause of the fire, apportion liability, and explore if subrogation options are present.
Fire Investigation and Electrical Engineers
Envista electrical engineers have decades of experience performing detailed fire investigations following incidents involving appliances. Utilizing scientific principles, and experience gained in prior experience designing and testing sophisticated electrical systems, our degreed and licensed Electrical Engineers, are recognized by the NFPA and IAAI as Certified Fire and Explosion investigators.
We have the experience needed to steer the investigation from the initial site inspection through expert courtroom presentations.
Tips for Appliance Maintenance
To protect yourself against possible appliance fires, keep these things in mind:
- Register new appliances and check for recalls
- Install fire-prevention equipment
- Inspect power cords
- Check and inspect all wiring
- Practice kitchen safety and make sure your range is clear, and clean vents regularly
- Clean dryer vents as often as possible
3D Scans and modeling
Our investigators use 3D scans through Matterport technology to aid in providing quicker service, interactive 3D modeling, scene documentation and evidence collection. This technology allows for a "real-time" experience review of a scene for adjusters or attorneys without ever having to leave the office. Learn more about this capability.
- Forensic Engineering & Failure Analysis
- Civil Failure Analysis
- Electrical Engineering Experts
- Fire Origin and Cause
- Material Failure Analysis
- Mechanical Failure Analysis
- Transportation & Injury Biomechanics
- Construction and Building Consulting Services
- Digital Forensics Investigator
- Expert Witness and Litigation Support