Construction schedules are the basis for performing construction work. The schedule determines the timing, sequence, and resources required to complete a project on time and within budget. Given the fast pace and shifting priorities of construction projects to meet project milestones and stakeholder deliverables, delay on a project is not unusual. It can occur at any stage as a result of different sources and various causes, most of which result in a negative impact on cost and time.
Once a construction project incurs a delay or multiple delays, it may become necessary to perform a forensic review to assess the effect a delay or disruption had on the schedule for completing the project. This review will focus on the assessment of planned performance versus actual execution of the work.
Our experts and consultants are here to support insurable and non-insurable losses and events due to delay and disruption to the original work plan/schedule, whether from peril, poorly designed scope, design change, delayed or poor decision-making, scope creep, or the cumulative impact thereof.
Construction Planning and Scheduling
Our construction delay experts use Critical Path Method (CPM) techniques to analyze schedules using industry-accepted methodologies. They determine and assess the root cause-effect, responsibility, and impact of potential occurrences on time and cost, whether for an insurable loss or a dispute between project parties such as owners, consultants, general contractors, and subcontractors. Using recognized scheduling experience and knowledge, forensic delay analysis practices, and industry-leading software, our construction claim and dispute resolution consultants can perform the independent schedule analysis required to demonstrate and support potential entitlement to direct or consequential damages.
We cover construction dispute issues arising from:
- Differing site conditions
- Late approvals
- Inadequate project management and administration
- Failure to understand and/or comply with the contract
- Incomplete design information/lack of design coordination
- Change management/cumulative impact of change
- Inclement weather conditions
- Behavioral factors and relationships
Insurable losses on construction projects arise from fires, floods, structural failures, sinkholes, construction defects, to name a few. Many of these losses require the same forensic analysis and scheduling expertise used to demonstrate and support construction disputes, with just some minor variations.
Our Construction Scheduling Services
Our wide range of construction scheduling services includes, but is not limited to:
- Construction claims and dispute resolution
- Business interruption and delayed startup
- Assessing the impact of unforeseen conditions and events
- Scheduling software expertise and forensic analysis techniques
- Productivity loss
- Forensic cost analysis
- Provision of strategic feedback and recommendations
- Negotiation and mediation
- Risk mitigation
- Schedule development and ongoing monitoring
- Building consulting
- Builder's risk or course of construction losses
- Large and complex losses
- Establishing cause and effect relationships and determining liability
- Critical path methodology
- Earned value management
- Quantification of damages and entitlement
- Expert findings and reports
- Project advisory
- Project controls, methodology, and project management principles
- Construction defect
- Quantity surveying
Who We Serve
Our clients include owners, developers, general contractors, subcontractors, legal counsel, sureties, insurers, and adjusters. Our experience ranges across public and private sectors on infrastructure, industrial, commercial, institutional, and transportation projects, including heavy engineering, oil and gas, and rail.
Our network of global experts joins forces to provide clients with the exact team they need, whether that's an industry subject matter expert, civil or structural engineers, builder's risk or course of construction consultant, or costing or delay expert. Backed by industry-leading forensic engineers, our construction experts can create a multi-disciplinary team that will suit any project.